Chignon is an elegant hairstyle that has been in fashion for ages. It’s classic, timeless and versatile enough to be worn at any occasion. Whether you’re attending a wedding, prom or just want a chic look for a night out, chignon is a perfect choice. In this article, we will guide you on how to do a chignon hair style step by step.
How to Do a Chignon Hair Style
1. Start with clean, dry hair
Before starting the styling process, make sure your hair is clean and dry. Wash your hair with shampoo and conditioner and pat it dry with a towel. It’s important to ensure there are no tangles in your hair as it makes the styling process more manageable.
2. Apply texturizing spray or mousse
To create a hold and texture for your chignon, apply texturizing spray or mousse evenly to your hair starting from the roots to the tips. This will also help in keeping your hair in place throughout the day.
3. Gather your hair back
Gather all your hair backward and create a low ponytail at the nape of your neck. Ensure the ponytail is firm and not too tight. If you have long or thick hair, use a hair tie that can hold your hair well without slipping off.
4. Twist the hair into a bun
Divide the ponytail into two sections and twist them around each other to create a bun. Continue twisting until you reach the ends of your hair, then tuck them under the bun and secure them with bobby pins.
5. Secure with bobby pins
Secure the bun with bobby pins. Use a minimum of four bobby pins to ensure the bun stays intact. Place the pins strategically to ensure they are well-hidden from view.
6. Leave some strands loose
For a more natural and effortless look, leave some strands of hair loose around your face. You can also curl the strands using a curling iron to add some texture.
7. Finish with hairspray
Once you’re done styling your chignon, spray a light hold hairspray evenly on your hair to keep it in place. This will also give your style a shiny and polished finish.
- How long does it take to style a chignon hairstyle? A: Styling a chignon typically takes between 10 to 30 minutes depending on your hair type, length, and texture.
- Can I create a chignon hairstyle with short hair? A: Yes, you can still create a chignon hairstyle if you have short hair. Use a hair tie or pins to secure the hair at the nape of your neck before twisting it into a bun.
- What hair type is best suited for a chignon hairstyle? A: Chignon hairstyles are versatile and can be worn by all hair types, including straight, wavy, curly, and coily.
- How do I prevent my chignon from falling apart? A: To prevent your chignon from falling apart, ensure your hair is clean and dry before styling, use bobby pins to secure the bun firmly, and apply hairspray to keep your hair in place.
- Can I accessorize my chignon hairstyle? A: Yes, you can accessorize your chignon hairstyle with hairpins, clips, or a headband to add some sparkle and glam to the style.